Originally Posted By: George L.
For several reasons I am seriously considering sending my collection to auction. It consists of over 100 long guns (mainly SxS sporting guns) 25 pistols and 20 or so edged weapons. Any thoughts as to the best auction house, the appropriate auction fee and who to deal with there would be appreciated.

Best Regards, George

It really depends on the quality of your collection and what you are trying to sell.
In general James Julia only takes guns that are going to go for $3000 and up.
Rock Island will probably take all of your your guns, but "bundle" some of them into group lots if they don't think a single gun is going to go for at least $1500.
Amoskeag will take everything, but may not get the traffic for higher end stuff that James Julia and Rock Island will.
Poulin is similar to Amoskeag, HOWEVER the same family that runs James Julia runs Poulin.

I would suggest talking to James Julia, they'll probably take everything that they think will sell for $3000 and up and the remainder will be auctioned off by Poulin.

I've bought from both Amoskeag and Poulin and both have very good customer service.

I have become addicted to English hammered shotguns to the detriment of my wallet.