As a general note to this method of buying guns over the phone - The inference some customers who complain can't be pleased is not accurate in this case. These transactions are literally very simple (see next paragraph). Nothing is hard about explaining condition issues when asked point-by-point. We're talking about in-hand on-the-phone discussions of the gun. Either it's described when asked about, or it isn't. The description doesn't require "100% perfect" - it requires acknowledgement that there is a condition asked about. It's there. Or it's not there. Guess it might have to do with how badly one wants to move a gun and ergo calls into question the regard given a particular customer. And if my guess is wrong and it's a mistake then you're right, one shouldn't work in retail (or one needs eye glasses).

I will add this point in the interest of supporting a theory, but of course I give benefit of the doubt as I always do, and it may pay to mind this for newer collectors: Of numerous gun purchases conducted over many years as above, all but four went as expected. I'm a collector & user of safari rifles, commercial Mausers, of living custom gun makers' rifles, and of British single shots and vintage SxS's. My point is that when new to a genre or particular field of arms, an experienced seller can always spot a beginner. It's simply the way it is. So for the four: 1. Above, 2. A board-esteemed CA seller duo (now defunct) badly misrepresented several important aspects of a set of matched consecutive Brit SxS's (guns in hand) that as an example to the Q. of "Do all triggers fire?" was answered "Yes," when they did not. 3. A Cabelas gunroom fellow when asked the Q. "Is there any wood issue or repair to the grip?" of a 458 Lott Prechtl Mauser replied (gun in hand) "No" but the repaired/inset wood the size of a small stamp was on top and noticeable, and 4. I paid good money for restoration of some classic American doubles where I'd directed the restorer the case coloring had to be done specifically through Turnbull (including in writing), was told it had been done so, it was invoiced as such by price, but after getting the gun I called Turnbull and they had no record of the serial no.s. I kindly contacted the restorer who admitted he sent it elsewhere.

C'mon now.

Last edited by rrrgcy; 08/04/17 03:24 PM.