My late brother bought a Corvette and wanted to join the local Corvette club so we rode over to one of their meets. A rather pompous fellow told him he could only join as an associate member because his Corvette was too modern, not a real classic. So my brother asked what he considered a classic Corvette and he went on and on for several minutes about what he deemed a real Corvette. He ended by mentioning his favorite was the early split windshield coupe like old Tony had on the other side of the meet.

So my brother and I went to look at it. A split window Corvette is a very distinct and classic looking car. After a few minutes talking to old Tony my brother told him that it was indeed a perfect example of it's kind and if he ever wanted to sell it let him know. Old Tony looked at the car and him for a minute then blew out a long breath. He said his health was failing and he just wanted his baby to go to someone who understood it and said he was in fact ready to sell and named a price. Bob took out his checkbook and paid full asking price. A pink slip came out and the deal was done.

About an ten minutes later Mr. Pompous came up to my brother and was whining that the split window car should have been his, not my brothers to buy. The only thing my brother said to him was did you ever ask Tony if you could buy it? Yes he said, many times. That was the problem, you wanted to buy Tony's car and Tony wanted it to have a good home, not some A------ to be it's next owner. Mr. Pompous turned a darker red than the car and I almost spit my beer out my nose. Even old Tony had a smile on his face.