Schilling for the most part did the heavy lifting in crafting metal to adaptable form and then Triebel added talent and flare to technical components(I have wondered in what state the A&D Body Actions arrived???). Boys Lindner & their mechanics added final flare w/ H.A. Lindner acting as QA/QC. Then Hugo Kolb added the adornment. A question I have as which concerns did H.A. Lindner pass thru on his walkabout & where was he in the early 1870s??? In the 2nd series it would seem that H.A. Lindner migrated to Sauer & M-4 & I have for a time thought he spent quite some time in an area set aside by Sauer as a upper rung room. Once S,D&G really spooled up, H.A. Lindner alone could not fully supply the needs of the American market that S,D&G developed.

Up until say the last decade in the 19th Century, the Germans wanted to be British & actually German governing bodies had strong British ties. Krupp seems to be the one that brought back national identity to Germany, with which confidence & pride in their own products was developed. Actually, I think the craftsmen had to convince the masses that inland Germany could produce wares as good or better than their British counterparts. So I'd still say Brown on the pattern welded tubes until the black coloured steel was prominent & then the pattern welded tubes were black.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse