I have sent several guns in the last 18 months to the US via Borderview, based in the Greater Vancouver area. The have offices on both sides, and specialize in this. Although mostly I think their business is product coming north.

Rough cost is around $300-$400 US all in, IIRC, and that includes a percentage charged on gun value. But I'm a bit hazy as I have been the seller and the buyer (who I know well) is picking up the tab. Sending it to an auction house on spec would be different, but how, I don't know.

So $400 US sounds like a lot until you start doing the numbers on a gun worth more than $1500 US. Because up here, a $1500 US SxS shotgun will get you $1100 Canadian (which is $850 US). (Those are my estimates). Obviously as you go higher in value, the logic becomes more and more unassailable.

One difficulty to selling direct to a buyer is the common expectation in the US for a 3 day inspection period. Obviously, that becomes logistically impossible. Dealers and auction houses again would be a bit different.

If I was really set on doing it, I would get a complete set of measurements together, a great set of photos that clearly show both the good and the bad, and I would get in touch with Kirby Hoyt at Vintage Doubles.

Last edited by canvasback; 01/03/17 12:55 PM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia