I usually get the pack up to 1350 degrees F and hold for 1.75-2 hrs. I then drop to around 1150-1100 degrees F and try to stay there for 30 minutes. I think that this was a 2:1 wood to bone charcoal mix. I have changed the ratio around when I was doing a little Winchester rifle and small parts. Lid is fairly tight but the pack is full covered in coal and I usually put a piece of paper under the lid that often times doesn't even burn completely since there is not much oxygen after a slight flash burn that uses it all up at that high of a temp. I had a plate that was bolted on the front of this receiver that hit the water first which helped cause a splash and helped maintain coal around the parts. My quench tank is probably a 45 gallon drum barrel that is about room temp or less. I've tried using ice to cool down but didn't notice much of a change. I don't reuse any coal unless I am annealing. There is probably 3/4 in of coal around the receiver in the crucible which I think is one of the problems and why I am building a larger oven. The crucible is rectangular tubing with a hinged lid. I don't block. All I do is have a spacer that fits between the tangs and between the side plates. My main reason for wanting a cage or fixture for holding the receiver is that it will cause greater movement of water and hold the coals in a way that will allow consistent results if all other variables are the same. I learned a lot from the marlin thread about a year ago when I first saw it and a link was posted above but haven't seen much on sidelock shotguns. Thanks, Zachary