Over 30 years ago I was hunting a dove field with my 12 year-old stepson when Sidney Jones, a SC game warden came out in the field and asked for our licenses. I handed my license and he told us they had been watching the field for about two weeks and bait was found in the field less than 10 days prior. It was not evident when we shot. "Mr., this field was baited wthin the proscribed period. Makes no difference if you knew it or not". (I didn't) "Continue shooting until you both limit. Come out when you finish and pick up your licenses." We got the limit and he offered a $50 bond forteiture for me, nothing for the boy, or he'd write us up a Federal ticket to appear before the US magistrate. I paid the $50 and restrained from asking him "When can we do this again?" He let us keep the doves. Some of the hunters insisted on a Federal ticket which wasn't a smart choice as they discovered later.
Years earlier, Ronnie and I were harvesting oysters in public beds near Hilton Head. We came out with a bushel of fine oysters and were met by Dick, a SC warden.
"May I see your drivers's licenses? " "Sir, these beds are for residents of SC only. The fine is $25 each." We had about $5 between us. I rode back to Savannah, got the cash, returned and he then let Ronnie free who had been in the back of his car. This was over 40 years ago and Dick is a friend and we still laugh about the oysters even though the sumbitch took the oysters home and ate them. Ignorance of the law was no excuse, but he could have saved us some muddy work if he'd come out earler. wink

Gil