I'm pretty well known in the Burke, Screven and Jenkins county areas, having farmed here all my life, and actually farm in three different counties. I know almost all the game wardens in these counties, and make it a point to speak and shoot the breeze when I have a chance. I think my reputation of not being too much of an outlaw helps. I have been sitting under one of my pivots in a blind shooting doves and had the warden drive by, see my blind, hit the brakes and stop. I stood up and waved to him and he waved back and drove on. This is a warden that has a reputation for being very hard-nosed, but he and I get along well.

One of the times I was checked was opening day afternoon of '03. We had just gotten back from shooting doves in Argentina on Thursday, and the season opened here on Saturday. I went to a local shoot in Screven Co. and drew a stand really close to the parking area. We had been shooting about an hour when the local warden drove into the parking area. He headed straight toward me. I sat right there and he walked up, asked if my 687 SP II was plugged, and we both laughed. He asked if I was alright. I asked what he meant. He said he meant .. did I have my license and all. I reached for my wallet pocket, realized I didn't even have my wallet with me, and told him so. He looked at me sternly and said that normally he takes a man's drivers license and keeps it until he provides him proof of having a hunting license, but said he couldn't even take that from me! He paused a moment, pointed his finger at me and told me that the next time he saw me I'd better have it on me. I promised I would, apologized, and that was that. No charges.

Moral ....... keep your friends close, ........ and your enemies closer. Just kidding, I do NOT consider them my enemies.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 09/10/16 11:24 AM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.