Canada and US through their legislatures and courts have expressed their citizen's wishes about government intervention and gun control, James. Neither is moving toward less gun control, and all analyses of trends begins with studies of movements.

You and I may wish for an earlier time of less regulation when shooting and bringing home meat was venerated in our communities. I do. Another generation has made it barely tolerable to disgusting---hell, you know what happened: all downhill.

I noted in Ed's above on the New York Safe Act that the young Cuomo made a similar point to his father's electrifying Democratic convention speech about abortion televised across the nation.

He said who was he as a practising Catholic and governor of all the people of New York to say what others should do when we as Catholics aren't following the church rules on abortion ourselves.

To address an unprecedented epidemic of violence---and the violence of abortion is similarly germane to this issue--- here's the younger Cuomo's explanation of the Safe Act:

“This decision is a victory for common sense gun control laws in New York and across the nation. In 2013, New York rose to the occasion and passed the toughest gun control laws in the nation. We came together, both Democrats and Republicans, to enact strict gun control measures because we fundamentally believed that we could both protect our communities while safeguarding the constitutional rights of law-abiding gun owners in our state. We continue to hold this view, which was validated by the U.S. Supreme Court’s actions."

Members don't need reminding that easing is unthinkable in a climate of fear manufactured by politicians often for selfish needs. NRA is the major guarantor of US gun rights. Not doing anything stupid to make regulations worse seems best medicine in Canada