Originally Posted By: canvasback
Patrick, I would have said, if I had got here soon enough, why are you buying it? It's not a stand out gun, and refinishing won't make it one. It wasn't for sale at a steal of a price and you won't make a lot when you sell it. It's just another gun. Save your money, buy guns that are special....in fit and feel....in appearance or rarity....or are phenomenal deals. Otherwise, pass.

James, I enjoy buying guns like this for a few reasons.  First is that I enjoy refinishing the the stocks myself.  I find it very relaxing and a fantastic hobby.  I have a few friends that are like minded and we get together in my workshop, work on guns, talk guns, talk hunting, etc.  That time is worth far more to me than the guns themselves.  I also really enjoy the pursuit / hunt of acquiring the guns. 

Secondly, as you know have only been back at hunting for about 2 1/2 years now and I have much to learn before I will know what special or phenomenal is.  (I just learned yesterday what a Scott's crossbolt is grin ) Our side by side shoots have been a great opportunity to view and handle some nice guns and to learn a lot.  I have learned something with each purchase and met some great people along the way.

Will I keep all these guns?  Definitely not.  I might make a few dollars, lose a few or break even.  But best of all, as these are inexpensive guns, I can give a few away to others who might not otherwise get the chance. 

Once I know what I want I will have no issue with spending more. But that doesn't mean I will stop doing what I am currently doing if I continue to enjoy it for the reasons above.

Just my thoughts.  Right or wrong.