Description of the 30-40:
" the .30 Army loading was standardized in 1894 using a 220-grain metal-jacketed round-nose bullet with 40 grains of nitrocellulose powder. This loading developed a maximum velocity of 2,000 ft/s (610 m/s) in the 30-inch (760 mm) barrel of the Krag rifle,[2] and 1,960 ft/s (600 m/s) in the 22-inch (560 mm) barrel of the Krag carbine."
Description of the 7mm Mauser:
"7×57mm Spanish Mauser". It featured a long, 11.2-gram (173 gr) round-nose, full-metal-jacketed bullet with a muzzle velocity of about 700 m/s (2,300 ft/s) with 2,744 J (2,024 ft·lbf) muzzle energy from a 740 mm (29.1 in) barreled rifle.[2]"

The US Army wasn't impressed with the "smokeless" mauser, they were impressed with the vast superiority of the mauser rifle and it ammo. I like to think a comparison is of our under gunned Sherman tanks against the high velocity gun of the German Tiger tanks. Gun to Gun no matched at all.

But I suppose we should qualify this all with the fact that the Shermans did win by shear numbers and Teddy won at Kettle Hill because the 10th Cavalry, armed with 45-70 trapdoors, was already waiting at the top when Teddys RR's arrived. ("Sergeant George Berry (10th Cavalry) took his unit colors and that of the 3rd Cavalry to the top of Kettle Hill before the Rough Rider's flag arrived")

Last is just a general statement about the Krag, shortest lived US Army standard weapon ever...it was an unmitigated failure. I am sure, at the time, some generals and some in the War department asked how did they ever get bamboozled into buying the Krag.