Originally Posted By: KY Jon
I once sold a Fox AE 16 to a "dealer" which was in decent but well worn shape. About a year later it popped up in his adds as a factory original, perhaps not fired, pristine gun with about three to four time the price on it. I called him about the gun and he forgot I was the one to sell him the gun. Asked if it was factory finish, yes was the reply. Asked if the wood was factory finish, yes was the reply. Asked for the serial number to confirm year of production and he gave it to me. It was my old gun. I then asked if he wanted photos of the gun that I had sold him before the "factory" finish had been reapplied. He got nasty and the call ended about thirty seconds later. Must have been a bad connection on the phone line. Many here know who that dealer is and it in fairness to Ed it is not him. His refinished guns could never be confused for factory original finishes.

Buyer beware at all times on these old guns. There are "craftsman" who can not only duplicate factory finish, to a very high degree if you are willing to pay the price but they can re-age a gun so that 100% factory finish becomes an almost perfect 97%-99% gun which you just know is real and factory original. Pristine, not fired, factory original guns are almost as rare as pristine, not fired 60 year old ladies but more desirable.

This is more common than many think Winchester Model 21 comes to mind. Although not geared toward double guns there is book about this. It is entitled The Gun Digest Book of Firearms Fakes and Reproductions.