Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Originally Posted By: craigd

Employers, for example the Ariens case in Wisconsin, are being forced to allow random five times per day muslim 'prayer' breaks. Fifteen to twenty minutes per break, well over an hour a work day lost per employee. Who pays for those 'special rights'?

None of this nonsense is via legislation, it's all from regulation or through the courts.

Craig, that's your quote. "Regulation or through the courts" = resolved. And Muslims working an 8 hour shift don't need 5 prayer breaks per day. The 5 prayers would cover the entire day. The dispute was that they were taking 3 breaks when the company only authorizes 2. No regulation or court ruling imposed. And according to the most recent report I could find, it's still not resolved. By the way, the company fired several Muslims who wouldn't abide by Ariens' break schedule.

As for Hamtramck, when I looked into that one, a whole lot of BS out there. I read one published source that said the city council was 100% Muslim. Nope. It is majority Muslim, 4-2, but that does not equal 100%....

....The problem with the Internet is it results in lazy research. Or "research" that consists of looking until you find something that lines up with your world view. "See, look what I found on the Internet!" I liked it better when all the tinfoil hat stuff was in the Inquirer and the other supermarket tabloids.

I see the 'problem' as a bit different, so I snipped out you third paragraph.

All the reports say the somali muslims were taking five, repeat five breaks a day for prayer. Not two, that the company authorized as scheduled, or three as you mentioned off hand, a tin foil hat tidbit.

'Five breaks would take all day' is another tinfoil hat comment. The actual break is reported to be five minutes, an additional ten to fifteen minutes of productivity are lost due to movement to and from the break. These are random breaks, regardless of work responsibility at the moment, and you do the math, fifteen to twenty minutes per break times five a day.

More tinfoil stuff, who cares what the demographics of the city council is, could be all old white Catholic women. I said, because you asked, loud speakers announce the muslim call to prayer at 6:30 AM, a special right not afforded to others. Right or wrong?

You said there were no examples, I said there are. You say none of these changes are possible because Congress wouldn't legislate it, I say none of this happens via legislation. You say this is worse than tabloid stuff, I say you went off topic from my rant. Just because you typed up some volume doesn't mean you disputed my thoughts, does it? I think your counter argument is easily as lazy, don't you?