I am again impressed by the wealth of knowledge that exists on this site. Thanks to all that have helped "clear the fog" for me about this shotgun. This what I've learned so far....I think.

It is probably a Model 300 vs a 400 due to the fact that in front of the flats it is stamped in tiny letters " 2/3/4 shells" ( didn't note that before) and the proof is for 1 1/4.

It still is very light at 6# 4 oz and it's beautiful!

The action (bottom, sides, forend iron, fences, top and bottom tangs and trigger guard) are completely covered in fine scroll engraving but not the oak leaf pattern on the fences that Larry refered to for a Grade 1.

The wood is definitly as good as the Grade I at the site Larry refered me to.

I suspect it may be a Grade 2. The engraving and wood appear to be much better than the norm I've seen on the internet. I doubt very much if this is a base model gun.

It does have bushings (discs?) for the strikers. Didn't notice that before either!

I remeasured the barrel length and and found they are not 27 1/2 but rather 27 9/16. A gunsmith examined them and felt confident they have not been cut/trimmed. ????? Pehaps a gun made for the Continent??? I don't know.

I didn't attempt to carefully measure the length of the chokes. Dragging a set if internal calipers through the end of the bores revealed they are about 1/1/2 to 2 inches long with what seems to be a short parallel area at the exit.

Price wise it seems I'm getting a pretty good deal. $1600.

It looks like at long last I may have found my "English Game Gun". It may not be a Purdey but I suspect it will do just fine.

Unless someone upsets the apple cart I expect it will be mine on Monday or Tuesday.
TomR