I have in my possession a lovely Chas. Moore (probably made by W.C. Scott) 12 gauge hammer gun of some quality. The engraving is very fine and covers virtually all of the action and the wood is nice, but not extraordinary. I acquired it a couple of years ago from a member here and have been enjoying it since.

In researching the maker, the only information I can find suggests this maker was out of business by the 1860s (acquired by Joseph Lang, if I recall correctly - although Atkin, Grant and Lang had no information about the maker when I inquired of them). The gun is clearly later than that, which confuses me.

The receiver and the rib both are engraved "Chas. Moore" and the address is 77 St. James, London. As the gun is sleeved (nearly invisibly, I'll add), the proof marks are not a lot of help.

Does anyone have information on this maker which they would be willing to share? I'd like to have whatever additional information might be available to put with the gun for the next owner when my time as custodian ends.

Thanks.