Originally Posted By: Wonko the Sane
....It is a proven fact as far as I'm concerned, that a single lead bullets' nose will deform back towards the base on firing, and the nose will show deformation after it clears the muzzle even though it didn't touch some wad material, other shot or the barrel.
Maybe at light speed as a near plasma
Why wouldn't the leading surface of a perfect sphere deform back to some degree of out of round.
Maybe at light speed as a near plasma

It is a fact that the larger the lead pellet being employed, the lower the antimonial content needs to be for that pellet to have the same degree of resistance to deformation as a lead pellet of a smaller diameter.
No - lead has the same resistance to deformation regardless of shape or size but a larger pellet will suffer less surface AREA deformation as a consequence of GREATER SURFACE AREA in relation to contact area with other pellets

By the same token a shot load with a long shot column has more resistance per square inch to being moved than does a shorter column.

Just back from Hogwarts refresher course? I'll bet you think that somehow influences inertia. So two objects of the same material and same mass but different shapes will resist acceleration at different rates. I think that violates all three of Newton's Laws of Motion....

Hi Doc,
I made sure that I mentioned that my bullet nose example satisfied myself. I brought it up because it can be pretty straight forward to factor in the various forms of base damage and contact damage. I believe my example can affect how true the bullet flies at much lower speeds than in your opinion.

What I find fascinating is you can make consecutive comments about how surface area can matter, and then not.

If they're all spheres, there are going to be less of the bigger spheres, so there will be a lower number of points contacting. If you think that's where they'll distort, and to the same degree as a smaller sphere, then maybe there will be a LESSER surface area of damage to the bigger sphere. Do you think that's why someone mentioned that the industry may go to higher antimony for smaller shot sizes?

Also, haven't you ever noticed that it takes more pounds pushing on the lesser square inches of a smaller bore to end up with the same velocity? I agree with you, maybe tw has it figured out the best, but is it facts like yours or opinion like ours.