I have in the past hunted with both hammer & hammerless guns. The hammer guns were both muzzle & breech loaders, though I never hunted with a flintlock fowler, only a long rifle.
One point that "Virtually Everyone" seems to be forgetting.
The main danger of an accidental firing is not truly the hammer "Jarring" off. The main danger is from the hammer striking an object in a fall hard enough to bust the sear or its notch. The hammer of the hammerless is covered, not exposed to hitting or being hit. I recall once while navigating a hillside stepping on a loose rock covered by leaves. I took a very severe fall while clutching my 12ga FE grade hammerless Lefever. It has a few scratches as a reminder, but Did Not fire. Now I can't say for certain that a hammer gun would have either but the chances would have been far greater.

Also the way I fell had it been carried in an open condition there is a very strong possibility of the strain twisting the lug & causing damage, I "Never Ever" carry a gun open in any kind of rough terrain. If I feel it unsafe to navigate with a loaded & closed gun, I unload, reclose, & then reload & close when on better footing. If approached by other hunters afield I will stop & unload & leave the gun open as long as I am standing, but when I start moving again it is reloaded & closed.

I do not carry the hammer guns cocked if I am moving with it, I would not even if they had a trigger safety. If I were stationary as in a blind or on a stand & see game approaching then & only then will I precock. may have cost me a few shots over the years but at least I'm still here to talk about it & have not been responsible for harming any fellow hunter. I hope & Pray that I never shoot anyone, but should it happen I want it to be intentional as in self defence or defence of a loved one.

Whether hammer or hammerless I do not handle a gun carelessly with dependance upon its safety but try my best to be always aware of where it is pointing. In most cases I would likely have nothing out of the way happen if carrying the gun loaded closed & cocked, ready to fire. There is however always the "UNEXPECTED" which one must take into consideration.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra