Originally Posted By: RHD45
We have seen similar problems with other "gunsmiths" that bill themselves as capable of the "finest work." In the U. S. you can hang out your shingle without having to pass any kind of competency test and/or serve an apprentice ship.There should be some sort of vetting process for people who wish to perform restorative/manufacturing services on firearms and other high value things.

Goodness that's the truth. Many many years ago I had a nice german guild gun in 16 gauge with swivels and cheekpiece that I decided both needed to be removed and the holes in the rib and buttstock plugged. Took to a local fellow who had done some restoration work for others who seemed satisfied.

Long story short is he did a horrible job in so many areas it pains me still to think about it now. First off, he plugged the swivel holes in the bottom of the barrel rib with nails that he cut the ends off of. He then forgot he has left the barrels in the sweat box with the rust blueing solution applied and they pitted on the outside. He rust blued over the pitting. The buttstock escutcheon to plug the swivel hole in the buttstock was horribly fit as well.

I complained bitterly, but to no avail. He thought he had done a fine job overall. Said the barrel's were pitted before I gave them to him and said I hadn't told him to strike them prior to rust blueing so I had to live with the pitting. As I said, that was long long ago and I believe he is now retired.

Last edited by tut; 02/28/16 11:43 AM.

foxes rule