R1 Ideal Manufrance

An extension on the butt stock was made and installed with the retractable sling installed. I asked for a 14 inch LOP and 15 inches from front trigger to bottom of heel. I got these measurements from another of my guns that fit well but I didnt realize there would be a significant difference in the DAC and DAH between the guns. My amateurish mistake. The result is a dramatic pitch that I have never seen on any other shotgun and makes the Ideal unshootable. I talked to Kody and he said he thought it was wrong and said he should have called me to discuss but didnt. He is the expert. He just made it as asked. The man clearly does not understand pitch on a shotgun stock!

picture share

The finish on the stock is the same as the Sumners. Not sealed, no attempt to buffer out dings and scratches, bubbled, rough finish. As well the butt plate to stock fit is very poor and the extension seam to the butt stock is not filled, and shows quite vividly.

image sharing sites

image hosting over 10mb

http://postimg.org/image/cptafh8tb/

Above is a picture of the back of the new butt plate in the condition that I received it from Kody.

The checkering is as professional of a job as that as was done on the Sumners.uneven lines, overlapping lines, gouges and uneven cuts, over laps, you name it!

[url=http://postimage.org/]
free image host

20mb image hosting

And last there is a missing piece and screw that sits just behind the lunette triggers. Kody said he never received them. I have had this discussion with gunsmiths in the past about lost parts. Now I take a picture of everything I send to a gunsmith so I have some proof in the event something goes missing. This Ideal with lunette triggers is not common and it is almost impossible to source an original part, but I do have some helpful board members looking for me. Kody said he would make a new one. However, he has to match the metal and color, fit it properly and have it engraved to the same engraving that was on the original or as done on a R2 Ideal with lunette triggers. Judging from the work he has done I doubt he has the skills to do the job. Im not sure what the cost of replacement in the US would be but I have a quote from a Canadian gunsmith/engraver and it is in the $400 - $500 range.

With the part

free upload

Without the part

image upload no ads

Kody has said he stands behind his work and in a phone call and through email says he had done a good job and doesnt understand what I am complaining about. He said to send the parts back and he would fix them. I live in Canada and the technicalities and logistics of taking guns to the US to be repaired is a lot of work, time and expense. I do not believe Kody has the expertise to do a proper job and I would not in any circumstance send him any gun in any shape to do anything with ever again. I asked for USD$1500 return of the USD$2760 that I paid him to do the work. He told me to bugger off!

Im really am not sure what to do. If I was in the US I would sue him for the replacement value of both guns as I dont see how some of the damage can be repaired back to a value the guns should be at. And Kody has washed his hands. So my only option is to post this message on all the popular shotgunning boards on the net so all can be aware of the type of work that Kody does and his enduring customer service.

Heads up to all!

Last edited by Tamid; 02/26/16 02:23 PM.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.