Over a decade ago I was asked to evaluate a 16 ga M-21 field. Brought my bore gauge and went over every nook. Original, sure, but what a unappealing 21. Finish to fitting to inletting - nothing to hold a candle to most any CSMC....or even to a prewar/transition gun.

It's not just 21s, or even just Winchester shotguns. Most late pre-64 models leave alot to be desired prep and finish-wise. This does not mean they are less valuable to a collector. Most VR M-42s are similarly afflicted, but they bring big coin. And why not? Collecting is mostly about condition and rarity.

About a year ago, Poulins auctioned a bunch of 42s. There were five superb post-market engraved guns. Not one went much within $2.5k less than a late postwar SR skeet gun that was as much a dog as that 16 ga 21. Lousy metal prep, mediocre inletting, but - yes - high original condition.

Nobody was wrong.

I don't get arguments such as we are seeing here. If you are a collector, you prioritize collectibility. If you are a shooter, you prioritize other things. The mistakes are made by collectors who cannot recognize original condition, and by shooters who desire their bespoke guns be appreciated by collectors.