Craig, interesting views. I don't go to church or any activity that expects regular attendance, can't abide by it's Tuesday, men's night etc. I contribute to church projects of any denomination that strikes my fancy, as my wife and two retired daughters did at noon and last night, as well as to political parties, Ducks Unlimited, gun groups and the usual obligations.

It does seem at times that church acceptance of Jesus's teachings has the appearance of picking and choosing of what's easiest. Our Acadian parish bishop has been particularly critical in this respect. I believe Christians must be tough personally or--- to put it in another way--- they need greater courage and skill to bring forward Christian tenets of love and community.

The United Church took a big hit in membership by saying its treatment of women and those of different sexual orientation is wrong. After that was "settled" I attended Antigonish's United Church among the elms on Main Street to hear the first sermon by an ordained female friend. I was greeted at the door with a hug and kiss from a black activist female friend. Entering the church was a poignant and deeply emotional moment for me. Lo and behold, the church was full. The Spirit had prevailed.

Not always, however, are religious occasions as favourable to me. When my brother-in-law, an United Church clergyman, died my sister asked me to do the eulogy. They broke away from the UCC and formed a new church because of UCC sexual policies. My sister was a federal candidate for the Christian Heritage Party. I loved my brother-in-law and honoured his life and work in his pulpit in his brand-new church, in full Highland dress.

Love comes first.