Originally Posted By: Edwardian
In second place amongst the small bores is my 1882 "Best Quality" Westley Richards 20-bore, which at 6 lbs. 7 ozs. weighs considerably more than its younger cousin obviously, because it was intended to be a 16-bore when originally built, and thus loses one of the advantages of a small bore gun. Although, with 3/4 oz. loads of no. 8 or 9 shot, and if properly employing its skeet and improved cylinder choked barrels, a better game gun for any variety of quail has not been invented.

Best regards,

Edwardian

If you have arrived at that opinion from actually hunting all varieties of quail, then your experience with Gambel's has been different from mine. If a 20 is used for them a load of 7/8 oz. 7 1/2s or, at a minimum, 8s, is eminently more suitable. I flat would not put a load of 9s in my shell bag for Gambel's. And, also IMO, skeet choke is too open. I have used, and will use, IC and M for them. I am reasonably quick on a covey rise or flush, but if you can properly employ a skeet choke on Gambel's in most situations I have been in, you are in a rare league. I cannot speak on this concerning the other desert quail but I have been told some of them are runners, much the same as Gambel's.

Nice guns and pics.

All my best, SRH

Last edited by Stan; 08/15/15 10:02 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.