Jeez, I can feel my IQ going down every time I read one of jOe's nonsensical posts.

Not dead sure nature vs nurture has been proven either way. What I do know is my ex and I have given my son every advantage possible in terms of early development. Despite a divorce he has parents who both pay attention and agree on the best course of action 19 times out of 20. Who have always been tremendously involved in his life. And who both demonstrate and expect high standards of behavior. And at age 10, attending what is arguably the best private prep school in Canada, he is excelling in academics, in social skills and involvement, in arts and he is nothing if not enthusiastic about athletics. (You can tell I'm a proud papa!).

But if I had to have make a choice, I think he'd be a long way there even if both of his parents had behaved very differently. He has been this way since the get-go.

Now, I know this is not statistically proving anything. But he arrived smart. Maybe, under different circumstances, he might have used those smarts for different and unsavory purposes....he still might. But if the discussion is about IQ, while I think both contribute, I think nature plays the greater role.

Life outcomes however, usually have little to do with innate intelligence as measured by IQ. Life outcomes statistically are what's affected by nurture. By role models, caring and loving parents who demand excellence and demonstrate daily, by their own behavior, how to be a good, productive person.

So jOe blathering on about substandard genetics as being the cause is kind of pointless. Except as it makes clear to us his own biases. If Americans want to solve the racial divide in America today (a staggeringly difficult proposition) it will come about by changing the life circumstances of millions of people of both white and black ancestry.

Take a look at the viral video of the two mothers fighting in Walmart, with one screaming at her 6 year old boy to join the fray. I don't care what his genetics are....that kid hasn't a chance.

And jOe, they are both genetically closer to you than any black man in America.

Last edited by canvasback; 06/11/15 10:22 AM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia