Originally Posted By: mergus
Hi Ken. My jump shooting-behind-the-house-gun is a bolt action Savage in 20 ga. While it has 3" chambers, I do shoot 2.75" steel in it also. My local gun store has 2.75" 20 ga steel. Its not hard to find. I would advise you open the choke up, and if you know somebody with a forcing cone reamer, I'd lengthen them also. As to a low cost choke opening tool, the ever so helpful guys on the Brownells Tech Line advised me to wrap wet or dry sand paper around a half inch dowel rod and sand away in a back and forth circular fashion.

I know that statement will rankle most on this site, BUT, it is an inexpensive gun, and doing so didn't hurt a thing as this Savage is no classic.

Between the weight of the gun, plus the reduced kick of 20 ga shells, I accidentally created a great gun to loan to beginners and small statured people who just want to try shooting a shotgun.

Mergus

Well. Thanks.

Hope springs eternal. My Mossberg has the old screw-on chokes, with the external threads. I'll just keep'em off and use the open bore. Now, I just have to find some 2 3/4" 20ga steel loads. At least I have plenty of time.

This'll be exciting, Snipe hunting with a brace of English Setters...I used to hunt'em with my Springers..

Last edited by Ken61; 05/22/15 12:23 PM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.