What it's really about is setting reasonable expectations. I have a couple of guns with a reputable smith. Dropped them off in Sept and was told the work would be done by Christmas. Called before Christmas; "not yet"..., called at the end of Jan; "not yet"..., Called at the end of Feb; "not yet"... It's one thing to tell a customer the work is going to be done in 4-months and not deliver and another thing to tell a customer it's going to be 9-months and deliver in 6-months. I can understand a second-tier smith over promising delivery in order to get work in the door, but a top-tier smith that already has too much work has no reason to over-promise and then not deliver.

What really gets me is when a smith can't remember the last story they told me. "It's going to be in the next run of case colors, should be done in the next month" then "just putting it back together" then, "hope to have it started next month." I learned a long time ago "always tell the truth if for no other reason than it's the easiest thing to remember."

Around the steel no tortured worm shall twine.