Eightbore, I speak for myself. Yes, I think all guns should be legal for use and ownership until one abuses the right. Two, my friends don't buy pistols, shotguns and rifles to look at them; they're used, on the range and in the woods. The fraternity abides by and generally agrees with the no-concealed-carry law. I sold my fully-automatic Sten a couple months ago.

To recap, it is illegal to hunt with pistols but they are used with discretion. Show off where there may be people around and you're naturally in trouble. If you don't, there isn't. Until recently we could use fully-automatic Stens, Schmeissers etc under prescribed conditions but I often used it to acquaint South American missionaries with their use and our Mounties with their accuracy.

I left a pistol near a lake with my fishing kitbag. It was returned by the Mounties with a baleful glare. A buddy had more than 150 firearms---all unregistered, including Stens, Schmeissers, Lugers, Mauser pistols---discovered by a fire marshal who called in the Mounties. They were confiscated without charges and wound up in Joe Salter's business in the United States.

To my mind, the latter case was asking for it. I agree with you, eightbore, that the current political climate inflating national security fears is changing the situation rapidly. Incarceration, however, is not of the same psyche as in the United States---at least not yet. As far as wardens go, I've never seen one in the woods or on a lake or stream or marsh or blind let alone being hassled by one.

Nova Scotia is the oldest settled part of Canada. I believe the way politicians are preying on our fears about terrorism is a crock. There are dangers but nothing like those we've endured the past 50 years from international Communism and the rapidly escalating stakes of the Cold War. Current fearmongers might as well be on the antis and al-Qaeda payroll.

Last edited by King Brown; 05/12/07 01:42 PM.