Rule of thumb is Arpeture sights resolve to 1 moa, scopes improve on 1 moa by their power, 2 1/2 power resolves to a bit less than 1/2 moa and so on This with good eyesight. Less than good eyes scopes can make a significant difference.

Practical use on game my 03 Sporter is as effective to 100 yards with its Lyman 48 and large Arpeture as it is with a K 2.5 mounted as long as light is good. Dark poor contrast the scope is an advantage. Easier to pick a spot on Animals with the scope too. It's a reliable 200 yard gun not needing any range estimation when scoped and zeroed properly. Flat shooting.

Thing that limits range on any big bore is trajectory. Have shot a lot of 45/70 and on game they are 100 yard rifles at best. Bullet drop gets them very soon. I shoot iron sight 40/65 & 45/70 to 500 meters and further on measured target ranges, no way to link target performance to live game in the field. Apples and oranges.

Big double rifles I have seen are 100 yard guns, little more in the smaller bores perhaps, not much. Study the drop charts for your cartridge, more important than what kind of action. Big advantage the doubles have have is fast handling a major plus.

Boats

Last edited by Boats; 01/19/15 11:20 PM.