Got to thinking about zeroing double rifles with scopes. A good one should be able to maintain 200 yard deer killing accuracy; 4-5" groups at 200 yards for the first two shots out of the gun (one pair) fired cold.

so, with that in mind, here are a few questions:
1. if the gun shoots a 4 shot group at 100 yards 2 1/2", and each barrel puts its two in touching or almost touching clusters, would you make the right barrel the point of aim point of impact zero and know that the left barrel is 2 1/2" left or would you center the group where neither [air is exactly on point of aim but each is 1 1/4" off to either side?

with the pairs either side of center, then when shooting at 200 yards, you find that the group grows to 5" and favors to the left of center by 4 inches. No crossing is evident.

or would you zero with the right barrel at point of aim at 100 and see where it shoots at 200 and then after its centered at 200 yards check the left barrel to see where it is.
It is more about the first shot being the most precise. In woods hunting, you often have to slip a bullet between the trees with little margin of lateral error.

I will be doing some tests myself with this theory in the spring with my 7x57R.
More to follow then

your opinions are appreciated

Last edited by Brian; 12/30/14 08:43 PM.

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member