All four of the forearms are inletted and will only require about .010" scrape in when the escutcheons are installed.

Between the forearms are two gage pins. Until about a year ago I didn't know what a gage pin was but having watched Morris use them constantly I bought .061-.250 and .250-.500 sets. The two pins in the photo were used to determine when I had reached the half barrel diameter at the front and at the rear. I measured the barrel diameters at the front and back locations of the forearm, divided by two and chose the respective pins. These were kept at hand as I inletted and were easy visual references for progress. The top surface of the forearms were sanded dead flat and with the pin in the barrel channel a straight edge laid across the pin it was possible to see precisely how far I needed to go. It also allowed me to make adjustments on wood removal fore and aft so that I didn't have one end going down faster than the other.

Considerable wood needs to be removed from each of the forearms to reach the final dimensions and I can't yet tell just what figure will survive but it appears that there will be something left of interest in each.

Dennis

Last edited by Dennis Daigger; 12/12/14 07:25 PM.

Dennis