Back on target, but with how when you "should have" returned the item but kept it anyway, the experience of initial let-down remains. And what does it speak of the seller who yet still shipped it in the first place? My only answer is "What did he have to lose?" I think that's EXACTLY what rues the day with a seller shipping a not-as-advertised gun - really, what does he have to lose? yes, definitely INSPECT the gun thoroughly and don't take a seller's word especially when you're new.

Some years ago being new to doubles I was in a position to buy a matched set of harrison & hussey's from a West coast seller for a decent price, who you all have spoken very highly of, now out of business retired. Ivory Beads anyone? Probably picked out my inexperience on the phone. Despite my list of questions and in fact my asking he pull the gun from the rack and personally inspect it over the phone, which the seller said he was doing as we talked, (yes, barrels ring true, triggers function, no dents bulges, etc), I bought them and paid the $100+ for shipping and eagerly awaited a perfect set in the oak leather case. I decided to have the gun shipped directly to a knowledgeable dealer here.

Got the call - and that things weren't perfect. Rear trigger wouldn't fire, a very light ring bulge in one barrel, the other barrel doesn't ring true, missing accessory advertised etc. My first Brit guns in a beautiful case, the stock dimensions, the price what I was looking for, to hell with it, I'll keep them and save the money and danger shipping them back by putting it towards repairs.

Seller didn't have anything to comment but just send it back if you want to (at your cost). I figure the guns probably sat for a time unwanted, I paid the price he asked, and what's he got to lose by the experience? nada. There's just NO guarantee that what is described shown etc is what you get. Crappy introduction to this fine world! Whenever I shoot or look or think about them there's that slight drag thinking about the experience. But what overcomes is they're still gorgeous to me, an honor to the maker and prior owners, and worth the experience and I'm terribly lucky to have them.