I have had 2 rifle stocks and 2 shotgun stocks checkered at Ahlmans in the last several years. As noted by JNW the turn-around is usually within 3 weeks. I have always developed my own patterns and she has generally done a very good job of completing the pattern as I had designed. I will say that I have had better luck taking the stock to the shop and showing her specifically what I wanted, but I live in MN so it is not too hard for me to do. At 20 lpi she generally does a pretty good job with her line spacing and keeping her lines straight. Just a few very minor over-runs. She does leave a few diamonds with flat tops typically near a border or corner that I usually touch up. I have done enough checkering to know that I can't do as good of work as her, but I am capable of cleaning up some of the very minor issues. I don't think her work is quite up to the same quality level as Sherry Abraham out in Portland, OR but Ahlmans has a much faster turn-around with very fair prices. I plan to use Ahlmans again.

Forester