Joe,
I hope you find the time to write something on estate planning for firearms collectors. As a second generation collector and dealer I was fortunate to have grown up in the business and meet so many interesting people of all means. My brother and I are carrying on the legacy my Father started because we appreciate the beautiful craftsmanship that it takes to make a fine firearm and also love the history behind each piece. When you have developed relationships with people over many decades sooner or later the inevitable happens and you find yourself at the table of their heirs. You quickly learn what kind of a relationship that former friend/client had with their spouse and children, usually within five minutes.

A good chapter for any estate planning book should be dedicated to the relationships between family members and how this plays into the decision making. We have found strong Type A personalities usually leave behind a weaker spouse that lets the children make the final decisions, normally lending to the SELL IT ALL FOR THE MONEY decision. Also tell tale signs can be detected by family members for those that are aging and getting ready to pass would make a good chapter. Almost every instance we have had dealing with Combat Veterans of WWII had clear signs that the end was near. Usually those that have experienced the ravages of war normally never talk about their experiences until 6 to 8 months before they pass. Army medals appear out of cabinets, dusted off and are hung on the wall, discussions with grandchildren about the war become more prevalent, etc.

It's sad to sit at a table and beg the children to leave a soldier's combat belt, .45 pistol and fighting knife to the 12 year old grandson and watch them pick out a modern cheap gun that can be bought at a local gun shop and sell everything else. I wish everyone would leave strict instructions for the spouse or have a plan in place.

It's too bad we can start out our lives wise, imagine what mistakes could be avoided.