Though I have never used electrolyses for removing rust from guns or their associated parts I have used it a lot when restoring other items. The electrolyte I use is what we Brits call Washing Soda you folks will know it as Sodium Carbonate at a rate of a Brit half cup to the gallon of water yes! The brit cup and gallon are bigger but the amounts will even themselves out if you stick to the US Versions and it is not at all critical. I do prefer to use rain water but there is the choice of demineralised water the reason I mention the water is that some household tap waters hold a lot of dissolved minerals and they can cause problems (my Brit to American Dictionary says Brit ‘Tap’ is American ‘Fawcet or Faucet. Help which is the correct spelling pleas). One personal observation I found was the rust removal was always more complete on the side of the part you are treating facing the anode (+ve). So I use an anode plate that is circular stainless steel and the object I wish to de-rust is positioned in the centre also I use stainless steel wire as the connection to the part I want to de-rust (-ve). To provide the power I use a 12 volt automobile battery charger supplying between 2 and 4 amps. Also I found that the process moves along much faster if you clean down to brightish metal at the place where you attach the connection to the article you wish to de-rust.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!