Originally Posted By: Glenn Fewless

Doug:

It just so happens that I have some 4227. I checked in Waters' "Pet Loads" and his recommendations are pretty much what you suggest. Brent is going to bring some cast boolits for me to try, and if the bore does indeed prove to rough I will try the Hawk bullets. I would prefer to shoot the cast boolits if possible.

Best to all,

Glenn

Hi Glenn:

I cast for just about all of my rifles and have found that "pure lino-type" works extremely well with gas checks as the hard lead does not exit with fins or lead the bore as do the softer lead alloys. The downside with any cast bullet used in hunting is the expansion factor, unless using pure lead as in muzzle loading mini-balls etc. Cast hard hollow points fix the expansion problem and work well for me.

I've shot quite a few Deer, Elk, coyotes etc. with my cast bullets in 45-70, 38-55, 32-40, 32-20, .30 U.S., .348, .32 SPL, 30/30 etc. and hollow point cast gas check bullets are a plus for sure. With pure lino-type gas checks you can drive the cast bullet at near jacket speeds with zero leading, which makes one super hard hitting hollow point cast bullet. The critters seem to go down quite well.

Good Luck with whatever alloy/cast or jacketed bullet you end up with, as usual shot placement is more important than all the hype anyway.....

Best Regards,

.456 HP - 330 grain, electronic scale weight with lino as cast 324 grains, Lyman mould #456122 original Gould's Express HP.

Doug