Originally Posted By: calebg

Snip---
True, but have you ever seen a modern Spanish shotgun with reasonably open chokes (modified or less) develop a barrel bulge from shooting steel?
---snip

No offense, but youre assuming that all modern Spanish shotguns are the same they arent. See my above post concerning purpose built shotguns.

Ive seen current production Spanish light game guns with bulged barrels at the chokes from shooting heavy loads of lead shot. Ive seen current production Spanish light game guns with stocks damaged/broken from shooting shells that produce recoil that is excessive in a light game gun.

Personally, I haven't, and I've put a fair amount of steel through post-War Spanish guns, none of which were/are proofed for steel.

Ive seen a lot of people run red lights or stop signs without getting hit. Lets not confuse being lucky with being safe.

If I were looking at a new gun, I would want it with a steel proof just because it's an option. But with a used gun I wouldn't necessarily let the lack of a steel proof scare me off.

A lot of the inexpensive Spanish box lock guns were built as medium game guns and are stoutly built. Open up the chokes so the tightest is mod or less and they will take a lot of abuse before the wheels come off.

Im not here to tell anyone what to do or not do were all adults. That said, Id like people to be able to make informed decisions but ultimately thats optional.

Your guns, your risk, your call.