Originally Posted By: Brittany Man
[quote=Ted Schefelbein]

"Think disc set strikes. When one breaks, you put another in, in the cab of the truck, using a Zippo for light, if needed"

That I would like to see!

Having removed the striker disc from a couple of guns that have been shot a bit I can tell you that it's been my experience that they are usually difficult to remove & Birmingham trained gunsmith Jack Rowe has mentioned that his method is to set the action in a heavy bench vise & put the striker removal bit in an old fashioned drill brace to get enough leverage to get them out so I'm not the only person that feels that way.

They don't make striker disc removal tools so you can use a 3/8" drive ratchet or "T" handle on them for no reason!

I'm not opposed to disc set strikers but I really don't think they make broken strikers an easy field repair nor do I think strikers integral with the hammers break all that frequently. If they did that design wouldn't have been used on most A&D designs including the Winchester 21, A.H.Fox & Parker.

If you insist on having disc set strikers on a boxlock you eliminate a whole lot of very nice guns as prospects.

No argument though that it's easier cheaper to replace a broken striker on the disc set design than the integral design if it does happen but it has never happened to me or any one I know.

I do however know of 2 sidelock guns with disc set striker that broke their hammers (one a Purdey & one an AYA) but that has not kept me from owning guns with disc set strikers.

It is a very easy task on my Uggy. Cole Haugh made the tool for my gun, no ratchet adapter is needed-hell, the wood he put on the tool is nicer than the wood on the gun!
Mine is a boxlock, and if a hammer actually broke, I'd need much more in the way of tooling to fix it than a sidelock gun would. But, I haven't noticed the hammers to be especially prone to problems in boxlocks.
I have seen disk set strikers with only two holes for the pins, and I imagine that would be more problematic than those with three pins.
They don't need to be torqued all that tight, if the gun needs to go in a vise, that seems like overkill.

Best,
Ted