I had an inexpensive 22 listed on Gunbroker with no reserve last week. I inadvertently listed it as having an 18" barrel. it in fact was 16". The buyer bid on it and was high bidder. He contacted me after bidding and asked if it was 16 or 18. I realized I hit the wrong key and corrected the listing. He stated that he wasnt sure he was going to take the gun but the auction still had 4 days to go. . He didnt say he wanted his bid retracted. He said he was still undecided. I told him it was 16.

The gun had no threaded muzzle or muzzle brake and the stock was pinned (it was an S&W MP 15-22. The photos clearly show the muzzle having no brake. I told him it was a NY Compliant gun. (no brake and pinned stock, both of which were in description , just not the term NY Compliant because now with the SAFE Act it isnt.) But because I said it was no longer NY Compliant he felt I misrepresented it. He isnt from NY. And it says right in the description, ask questions BEFORE bidding.

He then said he wanted 18 because he wanted to shorten and thread the barrel. well, its already shorter than 18 which was his intended goal.
Not trying to hide anything. Its a mass produced 22 semi auto rifle. No collector value, no special features; one of 100,000 just like it.

The auction closed and he won the gun. He then informs me that he was not going to purchase the gun. I told him that he made a binding contract (as per Gunbroker terms) to purchase. I offered him the option of sending me the cost of the auction fee and I would leave no feedback. I told him that in order for me to recoup my fees, Gunbroker requires that I leave negative feedback. So he had the option. He said that it would be a good outcome if I just relisted. In other words, he doesnt pay, I am out the sale, I am out the fees and he has no repercussions for his actions. All of this from a guy with two auctions to his name. And then I see , before I left anything , he leaves negative feedback against me and he didnt even buy the gun.

Its not the money, its the principal. I made a mistake with the barrel length. I corrected it. He had plenty of time to retract his bid. That would have ended it. He vacillated. I couldnt very well retract his bid without his requesting that.

So now, I have to go through the nutroll to get my fees refunded.

Now, if he didnt ask, didnt catch my error and I didnt tell him or change the details; and the gun shipped and he called and said it wasnt 18 like the auction said, I would have taken it back and I would have refunded all of his money including shipping both ways. But he failed to tell me he didnt want it till after the auction. I think he had buyers remorse or something, just man up and admit it. Dont BS. Anyway, I may be stubborn in following this through for 6 bucks but
Am I wrong here? I have over 2100 A+ feedbacks and no negatives. I work hard to satisfy my customers.

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member