Buying off the net, or, off an internet site is a bit of a crapshoot. Al Gore invented the internet, so, what did you expect?
I had a great experience buying a McNaughton from Gary, at Osprey. The gun wasn't even here in the US, but, he patiently had everything measured, paid for reproof in England, had the stock bent for me, and sent it to Kirk Merrington for the three day inspection, which, the gun passed with flying colors. It was a great experience, but, folks like Gary are few and far between. You might have 5 or 8% of sellers who would handle a transaction with that kind of grace.
The others, well, they don't handle it like that.
I simply don't need a whole lot more in the safe, and have discovered I much prefer handling a gun in person before I purchase it. It likely limits my purchases to stuff close enough to travel to, but, it is good not to need a whole lot more in the safe.
You take a risk buying a gun sight unseen, and probably should assess that risk well in advance of sending funds.
People who would never consider buying a car or jewelry off the net will pony right up for that deal of a lifetime gun. I don't understand that thinking. Most deals that are to good to be true are just that.

Best,
Ted