Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern

Since our season's over down here and I'm in the mood to buy some new turkey kit for next year while it's fresh on my mind, I've got to get me some new camo duds like Slowpoke Bill is wearing in his other pic on the last page above. It has been pointed out to me that no one can expect to successfully hunt 2014 Wild Turkeys wearing 1990's mil-surp rip-stop cotton woodland camo anymore.

George, each year when the season officially ends, my batteries are low, but not fully drained. I, too, start gathering equipment for the next spring. I piddle with making calls and am building another Baikal single-shot for another longtime friend and turkey buddy. I'll load some shells for the next season and make sure I have enough of my favorite mouth calls before next March. Just before the end of this season I did a room-to-room search for my old ripstop jungle fatigues. I planned on finishing the season in my old duds, but where in the hell did I put them? Today I washed my clothes, put my strikers in a drilled out piece of cedar on display upstairs, and loaded the remainder of my calls, cushions, clothes, ghillie suit, etc., shells, hats and gloves in a laundry basket which is placed inside a large blanket chest. Next season, third Saturday in March, 2015, I'll pull out the basket, grab the gun, snakeboots, strikers and head to the woods. The basket will remain in the back of my SUV until May 15, 2015. Hopefully, you and I will have many more of these cycles to come. Gil