Am not a gun collector but have owned a dozen 03's over the years. I think most of the sporter and match rifles you see are built up from parts, very rare to see one as it left the arsenal. They are out there but not many. Mine has two serial numbers one for the stock another for the action/bolt. Both show in the DCM book as Arsenal Sporters.

Came to me with a commercial barrel. It's since been re-barreled with a Arsenal issue barrel. Re bedded when I replaced the barrel. I don't think the stock bolts add anything to the strength. When these rifles were built they did not have access to modern bedding materals, stock bolts best answer to the problem at the time.

Retired it from formal Silhouette use it informal matches with that T 10 or a K 2.5 for hunting and when shooting Iron sight matches Lyman 48. It will still shoot 168 Match Kings or 165 Game Kings as well as a modern gun. Practical use hunting it does just as well as my Plastic stock Remington 700 7/08 just hold back on distance shots due the trajectory. Target range modest velocity is no handicap.

On the Repro 03 stocks. I built up a 03 match rifle from parts years ago using a type C Pistol Grip stock from Sile. Glass bedded it did fine. I think they had the stocks made in Italy, or so I was told, with wood that was pretty poor, Walnut Sapwood. To my eye old one would have been better, although impossable to find. Friend of mine is still shooting it and doing very well in club matches.

Cutting my 03's down to two rifles several years ago kept the sporter pictured sold off the match style rife, and kept my untouched M 1922 M II. If that rifle was mine would keep it like it is and get another if match rules required issue rifle. It's much more desirable than a issue service rifle. If issue is required M 1917 is the gun to shoot anyway.

Boats

Last edited by Boats; 05/12/14 08:57 AM.