I think it's more than likely that this is a Syracuse built gun, and I also feel that way too many Lefever guns are attributed to Ithaca. I keep hearing that up to 1/3 were built out of sequence, but have never seen any proof for that claim. The factory records are lost and there just aren't that many surviving guns accompanied by dated invoices. Most likely, a dolls head frame was used to expedite an order when I or DS frames were in short supply. We frequently see Lefevers with features of a higher grade gun... E barrels on an F or sear adjustment screws on a G for example, but we never see them using lower grade parts or materials to finish a gun.

It just doesn't make sense that a company that was frequently short on cash, to the point of needing investors or partners, would have perhaps 10,000 unfinished frames and parts for same in inventory. This would be even more unbelievable for the Durstons if they were contemplating getting out of the gun business. Also, case hardening was normally done late in the process. Guns were stocked while the metal was in the white. Why would Ithaca continue to stamp or engrave so many guns "Syracuse, N.Y."? When misinformation is repeated often enough, it becomes gospel. Damascus barrels are another example.

This is an interesting gun and another mystery. Last year, I bought an I grade in 16 gauge, XX frame, and automatic ejectors.

Does your I grade have cocking indicators and the LAC buttplate as we have seen on a few DS grades which have dolls heads and twist barrels? Are you sure your barrels are fluid steel, or perhaps reblued twist?

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.