Desire is the biggest factor, Larry. "Want to". Daddy instilled that in me, I guess, the desire to always do my best. This has nothing to do with natural ability. I grew up shooting doves with men of means, shoots with 30-40 guns. These men could afford to shoot all they wanted, and some shot doves a lot. If I was put on a decent stand I would be high man on the field, or the first to kill my limit, and almost always had the highest bird/shell ratio, before I could drive a car. Daddy bought my shells in those days, and always admonished me, "Just don't waste 'em". Wasting, to me, came to mean missing. I worked hard at not missing even as a kid.

I have employed a fair number of men in my business, over the years. Give me one with the desire to work, over a man with ability and lack of motivation, anytime. If he wants it, he can learn what he needs to know. Desire can overcome a lack of time or money, but not a lack of effort. That has to come from within. It's just hard for me to understand how people can enjoy shooting under 15%, which is said to be the national average for doves. Every time you miss, you failed, in a sense, failed to do what you tried to do. I don't mean to sound elitist, I certainly have nothing to be elitist about, but I am constantly trying to improve.

No one will ever reach perfection at shooting flying. For that I am grateful. But, why not work at being better instead of settling for "also ran"?

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.