I recently purchased a 1902 LC Smith Field grade with twist barrels with the intent mainly to shoot blackpowder loads in her. Lots of people go the low pressure smokeless route. The barrels rang like a church bell and the bores were mirror like. I thought I had that perfect vintage gun.

So she was mainly a secondary "fun" shooter. I planned on shooting a four of five boxes through her per year. I also have some 3 1/2 dram loads made up to see how she patterns with them.

However, I recently had the gun reblued and my 'smith discovered the right barrel was starting to give way, naturally where my fingers would be.

She looks wonderful in her new party clothes but I have chosen to retire her. A shame, I shot her very well and had planned on some blackpowder bismuth loads out in the dove field this fall. I am now looking for a replacement and looking towards steel barrels, maybe not so vintage 1920's or later. I'd like to stick with a classic name, Smith or Parker but maybe something newly made import, not sure on that thought. I even looked at Davide Perdersoli's 20 ga. breechloaders. Enjoy your Meridan! I still have a 10 ga. with lamanated steel barrels that will be sounding off on the trap range with blackpowder next weekend!