I would like to know how early century pigeon shoots were set up. I understand there was a 30 yd circle and a shooter and thrower but after that my information is quite vague. There was a thread on the forum but I think it is beyond a year and I can not access it.

I do believe the Pigeon/Live Bird game originated in Great Britain during the percussion era. Charles Lancaster used a percussion tube lock percussion system and his personal gun was sold here in the USA in the past year or so. THere is a photo of this rifle on one like it in Donald Dallas book 'The British Sporting Gun and Rifle' p.54. stating "4 bore tubelock live pigeon percussion gun no. 1675 of 1849... ...". The game started off as a single barrel game and transitioned into the double gun game. These single and later double guns of the percussion era are noticeable by the 'lack' of a ramrod provision. I am fortunate enough to own a wonderful Thomas Turner percussion 4 bore single pigeon gun (8 pounds - these are definitely not Punt guns!) with an amazing 30" damascus barrel pattern. No choke, but it will cover pattern beautifully at 30 yds using a square load of 5drams of BP and 2oz shot.
The original ring was oval in shape with 5 traps in the center spaced apart, the bird could come out in any 360 degree direction. The best birds (hardest to kill) were Blue Rock Pigeons from the cost of the Jersey Islands in GB, I believe. This 'Blue Rock' name continues today with clay target/pigeons.
Further reading in the book states the 'Winner of the London Field Gun Trials in 1858 and 1859' written by J. Walsh (Stonehenge) ... and it mentions the trials were held at the "Hornsey House, live pigeon venue... ... where the breech-loader emerged as EQUAL to the muzzle-loader..."
Rick