Hi All, I am still plugging away on my scope mount installation. This is for a drilling with claw mount bases. Thanks for all the help so far.

The original bases on this drilling have two claws in the front and one claw in the rear which is a little unusual. I am using a new rear ring and post from NECG and fitting it to the original rear base with the one slot for one claw. Now my question. I would like to be able to set up the drilling mounts so I can shoot using the iron sights and leaving the scope on. The front base is all set with the two claws as there is a nice space between the two claws. But what about the rear base? With a single claw in the center of the base there is no obvious way to be able to see through the rear base. Basically the rear post is just a solid piece of steel that goes from the ring to the base and blocks the view of the open sights. Does anyone have any ideas on whether or not this type of claw mounts would have originally had the ability to use the open sights without removing the scope? Should there be an opening or hole put in the rear ring post to allow viewing through the rear ring post?

Here are a couple of photos to help make it easier to understand what I am asking. As you can see my rear scope mount is solid unlike the front mount which has an opening. I am just wondering if normally there would be an opening in the rear ring with these 1 claw rear mounts?

Thanks for the help and will post some photos when this project is completed.