Well I went out to my workshop today after work and started filing and smoking the single claw (foot) on my rear ring. This time I did not worry about having the foot bearing on the barrels and just focused on having the flat area on the bottom of the ring bearing on the top of the base plate.

But then I started wondering about something I was doing. I have been using a steel bar 1" in diameter and approx. the length of the scope and attached my rings to this bar. This bar actually is used to lap 1" scope rings. I did this simply to avoid risking damage to the scope that I am going to use while I am doing the fitting of the rings to the bases. So, now I am wondering at what point should I attach the actual scope to the rings. Seems like I should do this before the very final fitting of the rear foot. Possibly the scope might fit slightly different than the steel bar....I don't see why it should but if it did this might affect the fit. And once I mount the rings to the actual scope and finish the fitting to the base plate is there any problem or issues with removing the rings to touch up the rings, final polish and blue them or even engrave them (not this time but just in theory on the engraving). Will removing the rings from the scope and later reinstalling the rings affect or change the fit? Again, doesn't seem like it would but wondering what others think.

Thanks,
Ron