Interesting thread.

I have put my money where my mouth is and placed an order - twelve months ago. This was after a huge amount of consideration about competiting options in the market (both modern and used), and as a passionate user of English side/sides, hammerguns and big bores, I am not a solely O/U focused shot. I have also shot for 29 years, so I would hope I know what floats my boat when it comes to guns.

The versions at the 2013 Game Fair were generally either prototypes (i.e. the 20 bore O/U), or unfinished customer guns - of which mine was (proudly) one. When I first tried these guns 14 months back, the wood to metal/general finish was poor - but this was entirely due to the fact that the guns were early prototypes and B&E were not trying to disguise that. Peter Boxall has too solid a reputation to deliver a product which is out of whack or so materially poor - and frankly, I would not pay for such a product.

The logic I had when entering this market was a very keen, lifelong desire to own an English gun, for the long term, which represented a highly bespoke, affordable (to me), shootable gun to cherish and enjoy for the future. I have enjoyed the manufacturing process to date and can honestly say everything I have wanted has been possible. So "bespoke" is correct - and not simply selecting/fitting your stock blank which is as far as it goes for some. Resale value is not my primary consideration - enjoyment of the wider experience of ordering and ownership is.

This is not a post to say the Boxall and Edmiston is for everyone. It absolutely is not. However, it was and is for me, the right gun - and for a significant number of other shots who have placed and are now starting to take delivery of, their orders. B&E are not trying to compete with Purdey/Holland/Boss and this has never been their mission. They are equally not seeking to compete with Perazzi/Beretta who produce some stunning guns - but not English, and not nearly as bespoke for the price. The Beretta Jubilee is a case in point.

Ultimately, I am delighted to see new entrants into the ranks. Longthorne are also to be congratulated in this - it is not an easy task. But for the price point of between 10-18/20k, I believe both names are worthy of consideration.