I'm presently researching a 20-gauge LC Smith Specialty Grade which gun features this barrel stamp "USA-F". This gun was shipped in May, 1942 and was not shipped to Rochester Ordanance; but instead to an entity listed as "Northern Commercial" with no address (anyone know what/who Northern Commercial may be?). All Smith gun shipped to Rochester Ordanance are stamped with a flaming bomb symbol; whereas this gun has no such stamp. In 1942 there was no US Air Force, as that division of the military was designed the U.S. Air Corp in 1942 (the Air Force we know today was establised in 1947) so the "F" portion of this barrel stamp would not designate Air Force. I've personally seen a Smith gun or two bearing the USA-F barrel stamp and had always thought that particular gun had been acquired for the military; but am now uncertain. So my question is does anyone know the significance of this "USA-F" barrel stamp? Has anyone seen this same stamp on other make guns? Thanks in advance for your assistance. Tom