Originally Posted By: PeteM
Don,

I seem to remember a long discussion about this that took place here many years ago. I can't find the post. Apparently I did not save the thread in my archives.

So, I guess I was repeating what I can't back up. After a web search about the effects of UV, I cannot justify the notion of fading having an impact on case colors.

Perhaps some one with practical experience can help.

Pete

Years ago on a thread on this BBS, I brought up the fact that UV fades the case colors, and many key board engineers argued as many normally do and disagreed vehemently .......It is common knowledge with people who have practical experience with case colors as guns are brought in that are faded from years of UV exposure and without normal handling wear/carry patterns on the bottom of the receivers, this fading does occur normally from both natural sun light and indoor florescent lighting.

Ken Hurst finally chimed in on that same thread and agreed also, noting that Colt, where he worked for years as an engraver, had a problem with the UV from florescent lighting fading the case colors in their show room on new guns , so Colt would remove and replace the faded CCH guns every year, which were faded on the UV exposed upper side only and they would re-case them........

But many of you still argued endlessly because you couldn't find some Phd's paper on the internet referencing this subject......but I can tell you for a fact that UV fades case colors......and it is well known with people who work with CCH-----NO, it's not overnight, but UV fades case colors.......the old glass doors on wood gun cabinets were famous for reflecting sunlight and fading case colors on either the morning or afternoon sunlit sides only......

As Wonko says, have a day.......

Doug