Originally Posted By: ed good
he a we go a gain...

Quality case coloring should provide cosmetic enhancement without endangering gun integrity or shooter safety....Be careful if you are contemplating sending your prized shotgun's receiver to a high heat bone charcoal mechanic.. He is going heat it up to around 1500 degrees F...

Ed, yep, here we go again.......as I remember we've had some 20/30 plus pages of discussion on this subject , more than once, with input from those, like myself, who actually do quite a bit of firearm color case hardening.....

Your temperature windows are all wrong as usual, as is your doom and gloom scenario....... Only an idiot would fry parts at what you propose.......

After re-casing a large volume of guns over the years , I haven't seen one yet that I did, end up with problems.... Can't speak for others, but the process is well defined and it's been around since man began building swords.....

I helped Tony Treadwell with his CCH as he began, helped him with supplies and hands on problems, processes, do's and don'ts etc....... Tony as a novice and hobby gun smith using an electronic ceramic kiln/furnace had no problems and turned out some very nice CCH work consistently using time proven parameters and processes......

Color case hardening firearms has been with us at least 300 years or so and manufacturers still use basically the same processes and time lines, temperatures, quenches etc.... Gun Smiths who re-case color guns use the same numbers as well, as it is very well defined in the industry, with great success on a regular basis ......

I'm not going to debate all the details and try to convince you that frying a shotgun receiver with your torch is nasty and ugly, but it is, we've been over it before Ed, many times.....otherwise the factories that manufacture guns and "re-case" their own products, like Colt Firearms, would use YOUR TORCH METHOD.....LOL...

This poor old field grade gun of mine that I re-cased years ago has had at least 5 to 8 thousand rounds fired through it over the years and is still giving as new performance.....

I would be glad to put it up against any of your "torched" guns as a comparison for steel to steel fit, beauty, strength and longevity.....

Best,

OR THIS ONE, OR ANY OF THEM ...........

Doug